This past month, GBH has been on the road nearly full-time, with visits to Idaho, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Virginia, the Czech Republic, Orange County, and next up, San Francisco. Some of these trips are in pursuit of great stories, like the Richmond, VA tour, Elk Mountain hop harvest narrative, and accompanying video. Other trips are for exciting new collaborations, kicking off brand and portfolio strategy projects with start-ups and growing breweries around the world.
- harvesting Saaz hops in Zatec, Czech Republic, video and story
- exploring the brewery, cooperage, and caves of Pilsner Urquell
- hotshoe-ing through the pubs and breweries of Prague
- podcasting with Evan Rail, a Czech beer expert and author of Why Beer Matters
- whirring around the new breweries of Orange County, CA with my collaborators
- storytelling on the podcast with author Bryce T. Bauer, author of Gentelmen Bootleggers: The True Story of Templeton Rye, Prohibition, and A Small Town in Cahoots
- peaking inside Half Acre’s massive new Chicago expansion, and a Critical Drinking interview with founder Gabriel Magliaro
You should saddle up and head out to Elgin, Illinois where GBH recently helped launch the Plank Road Tap Room. The brand, voice and service concept were all developed in collaboration with PRTR founders Alan and Breanne Moreno, who are fulfilling a dream in running their own business — and lucky for you, that business is beer. Word is, they're kicking some 1/6th kegs in mere hours. We’re quite proud of them, and excited to have them as part of the GBH family of collaborators.
GBH is working with Expedia this month to take the world on a tour of Chicago's Oktoberfest culture. From the Brahaus and Berghoff, to Revolution and Goose Island, Chicago's Oktoberfest is a beautiful blend of old and new. Follow along on Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #findyourbrew, and visit Expedia's Viewfinder site for an interview with GBH's Michael Kiser.
Penrose Artist in Residence
GBH’s Michael Kiser will be showing some of his photography from his years of beer travel in the Penrose Tap Room. Get up close to some of your favorite shots over the years, and see some of the behind-the-scenes images that never made it to the site. And if you haven’t already been, do yourself a favor and come out to see the Penrose space. It’s one of the most beautiful places in all of beer. Read more >>
Taste Talks, Wildest Beer Panel
Join Michael Kiser for a panel discussion with some of the Chicago area’s most ambitious brewers. From extreme styles, to obscure recipes, the wildest beers in Chicago might not be what you think. Read more >>
Plank Road Tap Room, Arts & Crafts night
On October 8th, join Michael Kiser for an interactive tutorial in mobile photography. See how he captures and processes his renowned images for Instagram, VSCO, and more. Expect a deep dive into the philosophy and technical side of things, and walk away with new super powers. Read more >>